Monday, February 16, 2009

Another Challenge

When I was expecting the girls, I developed gestational diabetes. I hadn't had proper follow-up since then, so after recent events I decided I had better get myself checked out--just in case. As it turns out, I am now diabetic.

I was really shocked. I thought I was in pretty good health. I could definitely increase my activity level and make small changes to my diet, but I really didn't expect the diagnosis. I have to say that it was a much easier pill to swallow when it was supposedly temporary. But, as I have said before: I am one determined/stubborn woman. I am learning all I can right now and making changes. I have been reading about possible reversal of insulin resistance, and plan on doing all that I can to make it happen. I realize that I may need to depend on insulin or other drugs for the rest of my life, but I will be doing my part to keep myself as healthy as possible. Right now our fridge is very green, and I will definitely be expanding our garden this year.

I'm glad that I know, and will be able to take care of myself. I have no idea how long I have been diabetic. Maybe almost three years! Hopefully my energy level will go up. I've probably been working hard with low-energy for a long time without realizing just how much better I could feel.


By the way, I won't be eating much in the way of dessert, but cheesecake is one of my favorites. If anyone has a tried and true low-carb recipe, please share!

3 comments:

chelsea said...

Mandy I can't believe this. Your attitude is so great and I hope things will go well for you. I really need some garden tips this year too...let's get together.

HappyStretchedThin said...

On the subject of Mandy's stubbornness:
The title of the first book she checked out from the library was: Death to Diabetes!
If anyone can reverse this, YOU can Mandy.

Six-Pack Momma said...

Oh, Mandy! I am so sorry. My SIL was able to reverse hers, so here's to you! Best wishes.